|Date/Report Number:.120214:EGST-AF43-3322 Item: 1940 MOVADO GOLD CAPPED AND STAINLESS STEEL|
|Description of item: SERVICED
RESTORED OVERHAULED 1940 MOVADO GOLD CAPPED AND STAINLESS STEEL 29.5 X 37MM W/O CROWN WITH
GOLD FILLED WING TIP STRETCH BAND. Condition is fine to mint.
Estimated Retail Replacement Value $799.00
|Reports are supplied at the request of the customer and it is for the customer's exclusive use. Reports express an opinion of the time of the examination of the jewelry. This report is for customers use only for the following two purposes, indicating estimated retail replacement value to obtain insurance coverage, or for the purpose of providing geological information. goldsmith Works does not guarantee that the appraisal valuation will result in a sale at the price. Estimated retail replacement value is arrived after analyses of what the approximate high retail cash asking price is for labor, materials, and design. These prices may be substantially higher than actual transaction or warranty with regards to any item described in the report, since jewelry grading is not an exact science, this report represent the best opinion of the company. GoldSmith Works is in no case responsible for differences that occur by repeated grading by other experts in the field and/or use of other standards, norms, methods or criteria other than those used by GoldSmith Works. GoldSmith Works is expressly held harmless by customers including, but with out limitation for any claims or actions that may arise out of negligence in connection with the preparation of this laboratory report, or actions based upon the customer's use of the report. The information on the carat weight, clarity grade, color grade on the report is approximate due to the limitations in jewelry grading. The item was tested, graded, and examined under 10x magnification using the techniques and equipment available to GoldSmith Works, including fully corrected triplet loupe, binocular microscope, master color comparison guides, diamond color comparison tools, electronic carat balance, non-contact optical measuring device, and ancillary instruments necessary at the time of Exam|
Many companies create their names based on many different reasons. Movado kept it simple. ALWAYS IN MOTION was their name.
Always In Motion in Esperanto = Movado
Movado was started by Achille Ditisheimin 1881 in La Chaux-de-faunds, Switzerland. The Movado specialty was creating watches by hand and by 1899 Movado was awarded six first-class Official Rating Certificates in their class, and a Silver Medal at the Universal Exhibition in Paris would follow the following year.
24 years later, Movado was famous for its watch design and function and soon there after, its sweep of the 1910 Grand Prix Exhibitions in Paris, Rome, Brussels and Rio de Janeiro for their introduction of 8 ligne wristwatch movements.
1912 began with the Movado Polyplan watch; a watch that remains today highly sought after.
In 1944, Movado seized upon the John Harwood patented BUMPER AUTOMATIC and altered it to include 17 jewels, better spring returns, a much advanced rotor design and center sweeps seconds hand and shock system AND IN 1945 introduced it as their first automatic movement called the TEMPOMATIC.
In 1947, American designer Nathan George Horwitt created the first Museum Watch. It featured an uncluttered dial, with a simple gold dot marker at the 12:00 position. Movado would team up to produce the Museum Watch and even worked with Andy Warhol in the creation of one-of-a-kind limited edition watches.
In the fifties and sixties watches like the KINGMATIC and others kept the company going until the quartz took over.
TRIPLE LINED DIAL
NOTE THE RE-ILLUMINATED FINISH
A WONDERFUL CASE
THE COST WOULD HAVE PLACED THIS
LUGS ARE TIP TOP
GO THROUGH LUGS
NOTE THICKNESS OF PERMANENT GOLD BEZEL/LUG CAP
NOTICE THE VINTAGE CLASSIC MOVADO DIAL
ON 7.5 WRIST
SIGNED A B WELDER
LOVE THIS WING TIP BAND
NOTICE CASE IS NUMBERED
STEEL LUGS WITH GOLD CAP ALLOWS THE
Taubert & Fils was one of the finest Geneva based case makers and specialists in the manufacture of high quality dirt and moisture-resistant cases. The companys case stamp was F.B. within a cartouche.
In October of 1891, Francois would patent his famous and eponymous watch case design. His Swiss "Brevet" [Patent] was number 4001. Francois would also patent his design in England under Patent number 20,422.
The Borgel case was an early attempt to make wrist watches resistant to dust and moisture. It had a one piece case with no separate back opening. The movement was mounted in a threaded carrier ring attached to the bezel, and this assembly screws into the one piece case from the front.
Though Longines, The International Watch Co. of Schaffhausen (IWC) , and other lesser known Swiss watch manufacturers were early adopters of the Borgel screw case, it was Mr. Wyler of the new Wyler Watch Co in 1928 who would use the base of the Francois Borgel invention to invent his own modern style of the one piece case design that would then find it's way into history and adoption by over 20 other brands whom followed Wyler's designs.
After the death of Francois Borgel in 1912, his daughter Louisa Borgel would continue the manufacture of Borgel screw cases.
In 1924, Borgel was purchased by Taubert & Fils who continued to use the then famous FB-key trademark.
Taubert & Fils was one of the finest Geneva-based case makers and specialized in water-resistant cases. Among the famous top high end watch companies they built cases for were Patek Philippe, Movado, Vacheron Constantin and Concord.
A CLASSIC CASE WITHIN A CASE SYSTEM
HERE WITH TOP CAP OFF
NOTE THE ACTUAL METALLIC GOLD
By 1942, the sweep second hand watch had became the watch. Two of the major reasons were the Government issued U.S.A. A-11 hacking sweep seconds pilots watch and the sweep seconds watches in demand by Doctors, Medics and Nurses . The sweep second watch simply made the watch more than an instrument to tell time .
The sub-second style dial, with a tiny second hand rotating around a tiny seconds register at the 6 position, was difficult to utilize for timing events. In most cases it was ignored. On the other hand, a sweep second hand could be used to time events, mark events, and was easier to read .
So, what did manufacturers do? FROM 1930 THROUGH 1948 They simply placed a hollow canon pinion that allowed a wheeled center shaft to protrude through the dial, mounted a second hand to it, and ran the combo with the very sub-seconds wheel they were eliminating
Instead of the drive train turning the dial protruding shaft/pinion at 6 position connected to the tiny second hand, they mounted a large brass/alloy wheel on the opposite side of the shaft that now protruded through the bridge. That wheel turned a wheel on top of a NEW center shaft held in position be a new this jeweled bridge that went through a new HOLLOW center cannon pinion in the center of the movement that then protruded through the center of the dial where a new long ***sweep second hand attached.
***sweep second hand